Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Zoo-ology Inspiration

When I opened my Scotty craft team box this month I thought that it was really going to be a challenge for me to scrap with the earthy colours of the Bo Bunny ‘Zoology’ collection. This could not have been further from the truth. Once I got over the idea that I needed zoo photos to match the line I was away. These papers match beautifully with almost any outdoorsy theme and if the colours in your photos don’t work then convert them into sepia for perfect co-ordination.

For my first LO ‘Jungle Gym Fun’ I chose recent photos of my little son Benji at the local playground. I distressed and heavily inked the edges of all my papers and used the fabulous Scrapware chipboard circle border to ground all my elements. I made the title sign using the Scrapware chipboard artisan shape which I dry brushed with Tim Holtz ‘Old paper’ crackle paint. The prima branch, mesh and home-made hessian flowers completed the LO.
I converted the photo on my second LO ‘On the Road Again’ to sepia because the bike that Benji is riding was a hand-me-down from his sister and is hot pink! – one colour that really doesn’t look good with this paper line! Again I distressed and inked the papers and added a Scrapware fence which I painted with crackle paint and gently rubbed with metallic paste to highlight the crackles. I cut the flowers using the Tim Holtz ‘Tattered Florals’ die. I inked and curled the petals then highlighted them with metallic paste. I used Studio Calico wooden buttons for the flower centres, threaded with coarse string and again highlighted with metallic rub ons. Finally I added my title and journaling. I made the word ‘road’ in my title by adhering letter stickers to my page, rubbing over them with distress ink then gently peeling off the stickers. This is a good way to use up any letters that you no longer like the colour of but do like the font.

For my final LO I embraced the zoo theme of the papers and used photos that my son took earlier this year at Singapore zoo. I loved these photos of the elephant encounter so I printed out all four of them and incorporated them into a circular design. Again I added elements from my Scrapware chipboard stash (the fence, tree and lizard) painted with crackle paint. I added foliage using my Martha Stewart punch and couldn’t resist adding a little mesh again as it seems to go so well with the grungy look of this range. To complete the LO I made my own journaling tag from scraps of left over paper and co-ordinating stickers and assed my title.

I really love the finished look of these layouts and I will definitely be experimenting with these earthy colours again.

3 comments:

Anne Pennington said...

You worked well with those papers - the colour and the sepia photos are both awesome with the line! Love your designs, girl!

Thanks for your support for the new challenge blog - spread the word for me please!!!

Mrs Frizz said...

I have to say ... these are all flippin' stunning ... love, love, love all three of them ... they are totally gorgeous ... you've really pulled some amazing creativity out of the hat ... I always love looking at everything on your layout ... but wowser, these layouts are beyond amazing.

Just Els... said...

Well another three Big ticks...Love your pages... love these colOURS for a change... they work well, as you said with all photos... Your the Bestist.....

Blog Archive