Wednesday, November 13, 2013

London - Scrapfriends Sketch challenge


Well Scrapfriends have done it again - come up with a fabulously, irresistable sketch challenge. 


 

When I first saw the sketch I put it into the 'too hard' pile, but I just couldn't get it out of my mind. I loved everything about the sketch - but what was I going to do with all those feathers. Then, brainwave (I'm a bit slow sometimes lol) I would replace the feathers with somethiing else - like a banner :)
With this decided I sorted through my photos and found this picture of my older children in London last year. They were just about to go into the 'London Dungeons' and were excited and I think a little nervous!
I used my October Afternoon 'Travel Girl' papers and sprayed a grungy 'brick' background reminiscent of 'olde London', but in a happy yellow colour to reflect the mood of the day.
All the chipboard that I have used is from 2Crafty, including the awesome London Bridge element which I have used as my title. This was originally too big for my page so I cut the word 'London' from the bottom of the design and layered it over the base of the bridge element. This not only saved space but also added some cool dimension to the page. I love how versatile these larger chipboard items from 2Crafty are. It is so easy to cut them up and customise your designs.


I sewed the city skyline motif onto my page using a template from Amy Tangerine. I really love these stitching templates but don't use them often - It is quicker to reach for the sewing machine instead to add a little stitching. But, handsewing gives quite a different look and is really effective to personalise your layouts a little.


Hope you are having a great week - and if you are in Auckland enjoying the gorgeous sunshine that we have today :)

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow! What a fabulous layout! The banner was a brilliant substitution for the feathers. And the stitching....AWESOME! I LOVE this.

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Oh wow this is ROCKIN'!!! Love this Sarah!!

Lizzy Hill said...

WOW! Hand stitching....pretty impressive, I must say...& the London altered bridge...fabulous:):) And the yellow bricks & that STUPID SONG from around the edge is now stuck in my head & that banner is amazing & works superbly.
Do you think I like this one?????
Naaaahhhhhhh...not 'arf!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lizzyc said...

Wow how good to make the sketch your own by using a banner instead of a feather!! always lots of details on your layouts and fabulous journalling about the photo too..

Linda Eggleton said...

Love the bright colours you've used and your stitching looks fabo....awesome take on the sketch, Sarah! Thanks also for visiting my blog & leaving such an encouraging comment :)

zenevak said...

This is SO fabulous! Love that you changed the feathers to a banner - works so well! Another fantastic take on the sketch! Thank you for playing along with us at Scrap Friends!

Blog Archive