Sunday, January 4, 2015

Life Is: - Scrap Around the World's January challenge




I couldn't go past the January challenge from Scrap Around the World. It was the quote that caught my eye. It reminded me at once of one of my biggest challenges as a mother - letting go of my children and allowing them to become more independent.
I found this cute photo of Mark and Sophie that I took a few days ago at Auckland's Viaduct Park. I chose a wooden pannel background paper to match the inspiration board. I then went to town with inking, stencilling and stamping.


I layered papers and ephemera under my photo - largely from the gorgeous new Kaisercraft collection 'Sandy Toes' tucking more and more little bits and bobs under the photo as I went along - the hard part was knowing when to stop!!!


I used the SATW quote as the basis for my journaling. I even ended up (quite by accident) with a little rhyme lol. It reads:

As parents life is a crazy mix of protecting our children by holding on tight
Then letting them go to watch them take flight!

To balance my main photo cluster I positioned a smaller cluster of items diagonally opposite. Another excuse to use up some more Kaisercraft ephemera :)



Hope your New Year is off to a great start! Thanks for visiting my blog today :)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

what a beautiful story behind your page Sarah. I feel you about the letting go part - even with two young kids sometimes I have to "let go" as well and let them figure things out on their own instead of always helping them out.

The photo is so precious and fitting for your journaling (love that rhyme btw), and the papers and colors you've used just brought it out so beautifully. Thanks for joining us at SATW!

Lizzyc said...

Ah your photo is perfectly inspired by the mood board quote, love the quote you have used on your layout, fabulous back ground details.. and love all the embellies too!

Athanasia said...

Pretty page and how cute is that photo! I love the journaling too!Thank you for joining our challenge at SATW!

Karita said...

WOW! How inspiring layout! Great colours and quote!
Thank you for joining at SATW!

Lizzy Hill said...

That quote is sooo perfect - & here I was thinking how clever to make it rhyme!!! LOL...... I love how you've used the summer colours with the photo, too.....YUM!

Fiona Paltridge Designs said...

Perfection! The quote with the photo, your story and the Kaiser Sandy Toes collection ..... All works so well together. Thank you for playing along with us at SATW xx

langeatheart said...

I love this! Love how you broke the mold of staying with the colors and making it your own! Beautiful page with a heartwarming sentiment! All the best from SATW! :)

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Brilliant layout! I am loving that palm tree - such awesome work!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Hi again Sarah! I would like to send you an email. Could you please email me at vertigo2(at)adam.com.au? Thank you!! :D

Pascale B. Scrap said...

Love the way you interpret the challenge!!! Thank you for joining the SATW challenge!

Hera said...

This is a very beautiful project! Thanks for sharing with us at SATW!

Heather McMahon said...

Oh what a perfect use of the quote Sarah! Love this page <3

Blog Archive