Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A New Journey


This is a bittersweet post for me today - my last post for Scottie Crafts, my awesome LSS which will sadly be closing its doors for the last time this weekend. 
I have really enjoyed designing with these Kaisercraft ' Now Boarding' Papers. Although they are a travel themed collection they are versatile enough to be used for many other pages. Here I have used the 'journey' theme to refer to a figurative rather than a literal journey. The last two weeks have been very emotional and busy in out family as our youngest little boy turned 5. In NZ turning 5 is a big milestone as it is when a child starts 'big school'. Benji seems too little to be a school boy - look how tiny he looks in his uniform and floppy hat! Nevertheless he is excited about the transition and his big sister Sophie is absolutely thrilled to have a brother at school with her. 


I used a Ranger mask (also from Scottie) to make the big black ink splats on the background page. I piled up patterned paper, tags, ephemera and stickers to mat my photo, basing the design of the layout on the current sketch at 'Sketchabilities'. 

I really loved this sketch so I adhered fairly closely to the positioning of elements, adding a cluster at the bottom left of my page to hold the journaling and balance out the 'weight' of the page. 


Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog today. I would like to take this opportunity to wish all the awesome staff at Scottie Crafts all the very best for the future. These ladies are such a talented bunch and I have gained so much inspiration, encouragement and support from Scottie Crafts over the years that I have had the pleasure of being part of their team. I will so miss popping into the store whilst my girls are at dance, chatting to Wendy or Bev and leaving with far more than the 'white cardstock' I had intended to buy :) 
Very best wishes everyone from all the Groen family!

10 comments:

Lizzyc said...

Oh what a big week for you emotionally.. saying good bye to a loved scrap book shop is not good.. and then watching your baby go off to school is pretty big for a mum too.. Love your layout, so much to see, great take on the sketch too.. I hope your week gets better!

Unknown said...

Hi!!!! Love you LO, aand thanks for playing with Sketchabilities!

jolande said...

Wonderfull lay out!! thanks for playing with sketchabilities!!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Oh that's sad news about Scottie Crafts! I love your super cute layout, Sarah!!! xo

li-bee-ti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
li-bee-ti said...

What a week for you! I'm sorry you had to say goodbye to your loved LSS, and I can totally relate to you with your baby turning 5 and going to school. sigh... they grow too fast.
Your layout is superb as always! I love the combination of papers and embellies. the doily is so special with the overall look.
Thank you for playing with us at Sketchabilities! it is always a delight to see your creations.

Стокли said...

Is he 5 already?! can't believe it.
Nice page, Sarah)

Lizzy Hill said...

Gorgeous page....last one documented for school, huh? And no more Scottie's....seems to be the way of it these days...all moving online ..... A really strange week for you...the earth titling a little on it's axis.....nothing stays the same, right? At least Sophie is happy to have Benji with her!!!!!!

Mrs. Scrapalot said...

Oh wow, what a great layout, and it's so adventurous! I like all the cool details you used! Thanks so much for playing with sketchabilities and hope to see your creation in the challenge, too! :)

Unknown said...

quite an emotional rollercoaster of a week! Man. Sending lots of good juju your way and wishing your little man a happy beginning of school! Thanks for playing along with us at Sketchabilities!

Blog Archive